Sunday, September 8, 2013

Update - Pop Pop

Pop Pop is still in critical condition but thankfully, many of his children arrived yesterday to be at his side.  I realize I haven't posted the details of how he came to be in such a critical state and partially it is because there are so many factors going on I don't fully understand myself... but I will try.  The initial symptom was low hemoglobin (a low overall level of blood in his body) that could not be explained due to the fact he had no active bleeding.  Initial assessment was that Pop Pop's body stopped producing red blood cells which could be a malfunction of bone marrow, kidneys or liver.   His heart was already weakened from his previous surgeries to clear his arteries so having low blood levels in his body caused his heart to work harder.  Unfortunately due to his age (86) and this stress, he went into cardiac arrest early Saturday morning.  The doctors were able to re-start his heart and he is currently on oxygen and other regulating meds as his heart is just too weak to beat on its own.  There are other things to worry about as a mass was found in his liver but that is not the highest priority right now.  I hope that clears up some of the confusion as he had been feeling really well the last few months.

So... overnight he had some irregular heart activity, either too fast or too slow, which I understand is treated with some type of medicine.  His children are with him and the kids and I were able to speak to him on speaker phone last night as Chris took his turn at his side.  He is not conscious but I fully believe on some level he knows his family is with him and can probably even hear us as we speak to him.  Chris was able to say the divine mercy chaplet at his side, which was important to me.  We continue to say it at home.

From Catholicity.com

Our Lord said to Saint Faustina:

Encourage souls to say the Chaplet which I have given you ... Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death ... When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between my Father and the dying person, not as the Just Judge but as the Merciful Savior ...

No comments:

Post a Comment