Sunday, September 19, 2010

Art Car Museum and Discovery Green

Since we are now a homeschooling family, I promised my kids that we would have more outings and field trips to keep things fun. I hate to admit this, but I have a hard time giving them a day off from our regular school routine. The task master in me wants to keep plugging through our curriculum so we'll finsh. But that is silly... we will never really finish! I need to keep reminding myself that the goal is to learn every day and that there are many different ways to learn. Keeping our noses in our books all the time is not necessary. So here's what we did last Thursday:


We met my friend Joy and her kids at the Art Car Museum in the Heights! I was pleasantly surprised to find that admission was free! Here is my Emily with the crazy mosaic car parked in the front.


And here are Lily, Noah, and Emily on the crazy car bumper seat.

Of course my Lia very happy to pose with this BEAUTIFUL pink cadillac.

And the phantom car was "a little bit scary!"


The art car museum is pretty small. There were only 6 art cars to see, some artwork on the walls, a streaming video of the various art car parades, and finally, this crazy digital kaleidoscope displayed on 9 TVs stacked on top of one another. Yes, I think my kids liked this digital kaleidoscope the best because it made them "dizzy".


And the seashell car. It was hard to follow the "please don't touch the car" rule. But thank goodness I was allowed to take pictures this time!

So we were done with the museum in under 30 minutes and the kids wanted to play. We headed to Discovery Green next. I have only been on the highway side of the convention center so I didn't know anything about this area. Discovery Green is a large green space for outdoor concerts and for play. There were grassy hills for the kids to run on and sculptures they could explore. The kids loved this one here... they called it the crazy house and had a ball running in and out of it.

In addition to a great play ground, there is a huge fountain play area. We pretty much had the place to ourselves... The kids got to run around for over 2 hours which gave me some much needed time for girl talk with Joy. Thursday night is definetly the time to come out play! Discovery Green also has concerts in the park every Thursday night as well. A Zydeco band was setting up and we got to hear them play as we were leaving. The kids danced their way back to the car. Everyone had a great time.

1 comment: