Friday, October 29, 2010

Service Project - St. Dominic Center

Yesterday, we visited the retired Sisters (or Nuns) at St. Dominic Center with our homeschooling group. St. Dominic Center is a huge, and beautiful campus for retired Priests and Sisters. These men and women spend the greater part of their lives serving God, by serving others, and it is comforting to know they are so well taken care of in their retirement. It is obvious our Diocese cares very much about their care. We arrived at 10am and found about ten Sisters waiting for us in their meeting room. Our children introduced themselves at the microphone and told the Sisters a little history about the Saint they were dressed as, and/or why that Saint was important to them. It was very sweet and the Sisters eyes seemed to light as each child spoke. Then the children handed out prayer cards and sugar-free candy (as requested). I don't think we were there for more than 30 minutes but I am pretty sure the children brightened their day. According to our contact, Sister Eleanor, there are 16 Sisters living at the facility right now. We missed a few because they were at doctors appointments but we hope to see them again when we visit at Christmas and Valentines Day.

Here is our awesome group of Saints! Lia is standing just behind Emily and you can't see her. When Emily realized we were going to introduce ourselves and tell about our Saint, she was a little distressed because she had lost her voice! This morning her throat hurt and she couldn't speak but she was a huge trooper and made the trip anyway. She had been using a pencil and a clipboard to communicate with me all morning so before it was her turn she composed a short essay of what she would like for me to read. This was very impressive because she generally complains about having to write in general and she wasn't feeling well on top of that. I was proud to read her introduction for her and I'm glad she toughed it out for us.

I introduced Lia, dressed as an angel, to the sisters. She was very shy!

Daivd, was very brave and introduced himself!

Here are two more warrior Saints. Another St. George and St. Martin (I think). David did battle with these two out in the Labrynth garden. These boys were quite skilled with their swords and shields... and my son definetly held his own as well! And yes... this is how boys get so banged up, I am learning!
Patrick and Mary Margaret handing out prayer cards. I spoke with this sister personally. She had such a twinkle in her eye. It was easy to like her. She obviously loved children very much.

1 comment: