Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kauai Vacation, Tue Dec 22, Limahuli Gardens

Chris and I were excited to take the kids to the Limahuli Gardens in Haena on Tuesday. This garden museum of native plants is amazing. The terraced area you see in this picture fascinated David. There were all these irrigation streams with little bridges and he spent quite a bit of time making little boats out of leaves and watching them flow downstream.

We were able to take ourselves on a self guided tour. The garden center provided an excellent book describing the plants at each stop. You can see the Taro plant here... used to make poi if my memory serves me correctly. Emily LOVED this book and happily found each number and read all about the plants and the local legends included as well. I'm glad we were able to take one home for future reference! The bird of paradise is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen... And if you look closely at the picture of me and Lia... you will see a banana tree loaded with bananas! What I wouldn't give for one of those in my backyard. Talk about a good way to feed the troops!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an adventure!! These gardens are so beautiful and unique!

    I know one more person who would love a banana tree in his back yard....Pop Pop...he eats a banana every day...maybe that's were Emily gets her monkey climbing capabilities ;)

    ReplyDelete