Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Emily's Birthday Celebration at Home

After a big day at the Children's Museum, Emily informed me that she wanted to make a cake for dessert tonight. This is not an unreasonable request by any means, but I didn't have a cake mix at home and didn't want to stop at the store with 3 tired and cranky kids on my way home. For a moment, I thought we could make a cake from scratch... so I started to dig in my pantry and found a brownie mix. I asked Emily if she would be ok with a brownie cake if I made some homemade frosting to go with it. She agreed that this was a good plan but somehow fanagled me to help her make homemade vanilla and chocolate frosting. She told me she had a plan. Did she ever!!! Here we are with our brownie cake and homemade chocolate and vanilla frosting. Emily got out 3 little bowls and the food coloring. She scooped white frosting into each of the three bowls with a plan to do this:

She wanted pink, orange and purple frosting. The was educational. A little red in the white to make pink, equal amounts of red and yellow for orange, and red and blue for purple (of course).

Here she is in action. Cake decorating is serious business.

And the finished product... She did all the decorating and I did the lettering for her. It was going to just say Emily... then Emily's 6th Birthday... but the chocolate got in the way on the bottom... I think Emily did a fine job. We may do this every year.

And yes, we added candles and sang happy birthday! It was really really yummy!!!
Now I have to brag on my sweet boy... he was very concerned about a piece of cake being saved for his Daddy. So we cut a good size piece for Dad and put it in the freezer for his return. And yes, the cake was really good!

Lia liked her cake too. Birthdays are fun for everyone.

1 comment: