Thursday, November 19, 2009

Books we are reading...

It is hard to keep up these days...

Emily and I are reading Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers together. It is delightful.

We are also plowing our way through The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. We are both enjoying it. I say plow because the characters, Dickon and his sister Martha, speak in 'broad Yorkshire' in the book. Lots of "Aye", "thee", "tha"... and such. We have found common words to substitute them... so I kind of translate those parts as I read them because clearly my Yorkshire isn't the best. :-) We are looking forward to watching the movie because we only have about 6-7 chapters to go.

I picked up Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (one of my childhood favorites) hoping Emily and I could read it together. However, she sat on the couch on Sunday and finished it in a 2 hour sitting. Really, she amazes me. I can't keep up as much as I'd like to. She has more free time.

She also plowed through Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll before I could read it with her. It is still in my "to read" pile.

David and I have been enjoying The Adventures of Pooh by A.A. Milne. They take about 15-20 minutes to read and he listens better some days than others. I think Emily and I enjoy them more than he does but I'm trying to get him to listen for longer periods of time.

David also likes The Adventures of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. They are longer but have lots of pictures which still holds his attention better than the books with less pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the movie, it's great!! Emily is such a reader which is great. I do believe she reads better then me. Her giggle is so cute when I mess up pronouncing a word or switch words around. Toooo cute!! Missing her!

    ReplyDelete